Monday, October 5, 2009

Preparedness Experiment

One week ago, our Bishop called the entire family into his office during church. He asked us if we would be willing to live off of only our food storage for one week. It has been a good challenge for us. I have recently been bottling chicken and ground beef and it was good to use those during the week. (They turned out yummy.) So... after one week we are still doing well. I had to make bread every day and we had to ration out the milk and juice, but otherwise we ate just like we always do. It did get us thinking about what we need to do to be more prepared. For instance, we recently bought a BBQ grill with an extra tank for emergencies - both tanks are empty!

We have a tradition of letting the kids eat from their 72 hour kits during October General Conference. By doing that, the food in the kits gets rotated, we know what lasts long enough and what doesn't, and we find out what foods the family likes the most. The family looks forward to this every year. This year, the juice was rotten and the peanuts were a little stale, but the other things were fine.

We truly loved watching conference. It is always wonderful to hear the counsel from the prophet and apostles. There were so many good talks... I walk away each time with a long list of things I need to do to improve myself (this conference is no exception) but with a resolve to do better.

3 comments:

  1. The Bishop picked the perfect Family for the challenge, you are my food storage idol, lol.

    I really like your October tradition! I would like to hear what else you had in your kits?

    Also do you have good food storage recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow, I think we would have had a hard time with that challenge. We need to work on ours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We recently got some great ideas from a stake fireside. The website is everythingunderthesun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete