Sunday, July 4, 2010

Disappointment

Our kids like to watch the cartoon "Avatar." So when they saw previews on TV showing that the movie was coming out soon, they were very excited. Jared started saving his money right away. He planned to have David take him to the theater on opening day. He had to save enough money to pay for his ticket and for an adult to go with him. He had the money saved over a month ahead of time then he counted down the days until he could go see the movie "The Last Airbender".

Opening day was last Thursday. Josh and Bekah had both been saving money so they had enough to go, too. Kendra did extra chores that day to bring her allowance up enough to go. I was the only one who hadn't saved up money but everyone agreed to let me go too. The whole family headed off to the theater (let me say, it's a good thing they paid their own way... tickets aren't cheap!).... 

Every one of the kids hated the movie!!!  They were so disappointed!  The creators of the movie changed the way the names were pronounced and they didn't develop the character's personalities to reflect the cartoon. That was just the beginning of their complaints. Bekah declared it "not worth her Japan money" (she is saving for a trip to Japan - I think she is up to about $30). I actually thought it was OK, but I'm not a big fan of the cartoon. It was interesting to watch the children's reactions. The fact that they had paid for their own tickets made them want to appreciate it more, but I think it heightened their disappointment.  I was proud of the for working so hard to save for something they really wanted.  Hopefully they will have better luck next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment