Saturday, March 13, 2010

A Sick Little Boy

We have had a crazy couple of weeks. Jared has been sick with a rash that got very bad and was causing him a lot of pain.

It all started a month ago with the appearance of spots on his torso. The Dr. took one look at it and said it was shingles. Within a couple of hours, I figured out that it didn't look much like shingles at all. I took him in the next day for a second opinion. When we left the Dr.'s office that day, it was official - he had a "mystery rash." Cultures taken came back four days later saying that is wasn't fungal or bacterial, it must be something viral. A week after that, the doctor's office called again. This time, the culture report had come back saying it was fungal. The doctor recommended over-the-counter creams and shampoo to treat the spots. A week after that, the spots in Jared's were extremely sore and began to drain. We thought is was infection and were really worried about him so we took him into urgent care. We started him on prescription medications and creams, but for a week, Jared only got worse. Within a few days, the rash had spread and was covering his cheeks and forehead. His ears were even red and really swollen.

As a parent, it is a terrible feeling to have a sick child and to not be able to help him. I couldn't do anything to take away the pain or to help him get better. It was emotionally exhausting to be powerless to help him. By the end of the week, we were desperate to find anything to help him get better. Jared kept saying things like, "I wish there were no diseases in the world." or "I wish this never happened to me." I told him how much I wished that too. One time I told him that I don't like him to be sick and that if I could take all the rashes off of him and put them onto me, I would do it so he wouldn't have to have them. The look on his face was amazing. He had to think about that idea for a while. But I think he really did believe that I love him so much that I would do whatever it takes to take away his pain.

I was talking to Malena who reminded me of a Dr. we know. I took him to Dr. Ray, who focuses on treating the problems within the body and not just the symptoms. Five days later, Jared's head had finally scabbed, his back and cheeks were mostly cleared, and the swelling in his ears was gone. Thank you, Dr Ray!

Jared missed two weeks of school but hopefully stayed caught up doing make-up work at home. We are starting spring break now, so he has a little while longer for his sores to heal before he has to go back. He is really worried about other people seeing his spots.

Today he was jumping on the trampoline, throwing a ball back and forth with Josh, and laughing. It did my heart good to see him playing and having fun because a few days ago, even his hair moving, or the worry of bumping his head, would be too much to bear.

We feel very blessed that he is finally feeling good and that this ordeal is almost over.

No comments:

Post a Comment